Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Daylilies


Daylilies are finally starting to bloom with their cheerful faces, officially heading the garden into the heat of summer.

I have to admit I'm not a huge daylily fan, but my mother-in-law is, and when she designed my initial garden, she planted them by a fence, and they are a wonderful, carefree plant that don't require much - and gives a long bloom period.

What has lovers of daylilies pleased are the re-blooming varieties that will keep the garden going right through summer.

I like daylilies like the peach one above. Paired with Russian Sage, the peach makes for a stunning combination. I would also consider them for an area that is a slope, as they do make and excellent cover, squeezing out weeds. Weeding is not a problem with a hearty planting of daylilies.

And some varieties are fragrant, too; although not highly - daylily aficionados feel free to correct me here!

I have a lemon-colored variety from my mother that does have a lemony fragrance. It has gotten out of bounds, and after you have daylilies for several years, dividing will be necessary if you aren't using it as a cover - but you'll have some to share with friends or spread around your garden!

I do enjoy going to daylily farms, and in our area there are several. One is Blue Flag Farm in North Stonington, where 600 varieties of daylilies are on view. Some are in beds so visitors can see how they pair with other plants. The farm is a pleasant outing, and a must for daylily lovers.
They will be open July 19 and 20 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and do sell their plants. They are also open by appointment.

I think the charm of farm can speak for itself: http://daylily.net/gardens/blueflagfarm/

For people who like daylilies and hostas, R. Sea Wright Gardens in Carlisle, Mass., is another speciality place, also selling 600 varieties that they will dig up fresh for gardeners.

Their web address is: http://www.daylilies-hostas.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment